quarta-feira, 26 de janeiro de 2011

The Adventure of Myself and I.

 Everyone has one alter ego. If you're thinking you don't have one, you're lying. Alter-ego, or at least mine, is that little voice in your head that is always talking constantly and that, as much as you try, you can't simply shut it off. I named my alter-ego Myself, seemed appropriate. I must say that over the years, I learned how to live with it, and ignore it most of the time. But other times it's just hard to ignore it. Like today.

 To describe Myself, you basically have to imagine me but 10000000x times more awesome. Basically I'm a Hollywood Actress, who sings rock songs (and I'm pretty good at it), and I'm also a legend (with no apparent reason for it). Or, if you will, the President of my own mind. So of course, as anyone on that position, not only is the voice super confident and somewhat arrogant, but also completely full of herself. That's why, most of the times I don't listen to it and I just do my own thing. I was on the way to send another postcard (this time for my grand-mother), and even though it was cold, I had my mp4 with me, and I was actually enjoying that little walk. And soon enough, Myself decided to step in.

 Myself - I'm so proud of you! All grown up, going to the post office like a true adult. Awh, I would cry if I actually cared.
          I - Right...
 Myself - Are you going to talk with the post office man? All by yourself??
          I - Yes.
 Myself - Are you sure darling? Maybe you should ask one of your friends to come with you?  You know, just in case you start stumbling on your own words?
          I - Shut up.
 Myself - Soooo mature! Such a little woman you are!
          I - Go away.

 However, her remark made me think about it for, well, a couple of hours. I really DID matured at some level. And yes, even though she made fun of me, even last year I would ask my mother to ask for a bottle a water for me when we went out to a restaurant. And you might laugh at this, but I was simply afraid of... loads of things. To be rude to the waiter without knowing it, for example. However, after I started working in a local supermarket back home, 90% of that shyness, or fear, disappeared. I had to interact with people, there was no other way to avoid it, and I must say, once I started talking I never stopped.
 But the most important thing, that to me its still a thing I can't believe I did, is that I was able to move away from my parents. And when I decided to move I made it big, not only did I changed to another house, but I changed to another country. I never expressed to my parents the fear, and the panic attacks I had every time I thought about moving. My friends always knew though, because I spent sleepless nights thinking about it and on the next day I looked worst than a zombie.
 The first night I stayed here alone. I looked at the window, and even though I was sad, I whispered "I did it. I really did it." And yet, the smallest things of this journey of independence still amaze me. One thing I discovered, is that I'm actually good SAVING money. Well, besides Christmas presents, every time I went to shop for food I manage to barely pass the 10 pounds mark, per week. Even today I went shopping for this week and I spent 11 pounds. I find it funny that now I have to actually see what's missing and what I need, instead of having my mom doing it.
 Of course I still have to improve some things like laundry, I hate doing laundry, its so boring that I feel my body melting while I'm waiting for it. Oh and vacuum my room... every time I have to do it I feel like I'm vacuum my soul too. But those are just small details I guess. I can't be perfect, can I?
 I'm glad I didn't give up of this adventure. I'm glad my parents supported and support me through the whole thing, and my friends too. And most of all, I'm glad to say:

         I - You know what Myself? I really am maturing. And I'm really going to talk with the post office guy, and I'm going to pick up some groceries, and then I'm going to cook my own dinner.
Myself - Uhhhhhhhhhh! What's for dinner??????
         I - Strogonoff...
Myself - Oh I can't wait! You know I really like it when you put a little of...


 And yes, this is how my life goes. But for once "I'm the one behind the wheel".

0 comentários:

Enviar um comentário